Robojams Inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Boy concept refined

+2
randy
Nyssa
6 posters

Go down

Boy concept refined Empty Boy concept refined

Post  Nyssa Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:36 pm

i have been coloring away at it and came up with this, realizing i suck at the little things, more things to come, oh and chin says he needs cooler hair and i agree ;P

Boy concept refined Boy410
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Boy concept refined Empty Re: Boy concept refined

Post  randy Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:20 am

I think the hair's fine. Really like the designs on the coat. The hood seems kind of flat. Not sure why.

randy

Back to top Go down

Post  DSpriggs Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:23 am

I'm just going to perfection game it here, since I can talk about color too...

Ok, I give this a 9.5 out of 10.

What I like:
- Super strong silhouette
- Lots of subtlety in the line variations (straight vs. curved)
- Strong, graphic shapes, and a lot of detail that doesn't conflict
- Simple palate that'll look good against the ice
- You've gone most of the way in defining the style (at least for me)

What it would need to get a 10 from me:

The only things I would change would be subtle things with the hood. I agree with chase Randy that it looks a little flat - I think a little overlap in certain places would help, like around the neck line.
Also I think it would be good to delineate that the hood begins at either side of the collar, by showing one side overlapping the other in the front.

I also think if the color was more of an off-white it would set his head off a little better.

I hope you don't mind, I figured it would be easier to get my point across if I did a paint over.

Boy concept refined Boy_pa12

Oh yeah, I also threw in a little bit of the actual hood part on the right - I don't know if I think that works or not, just an experiment.

Nyssa this is fucking awesome.

DSpriggs

Back to top Go down

Boy concept refined Empty love it

Post  Nyssa Tue Jun 08, 2010 1:43 pm

i love this david, it really kicks it up a notch. i am thinking of doing some other color comps, any thoughts from anyone?
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  randy Tue Jun 08, 2010 4:54 pm

Jackets like these often use bone for buttons. Try that, and maybe a loop instead of a flap to secure it on the button? Thicker stitching, such as you might see on homemade leather goods that use the shoestring-size leather strips for bounding might add some interest.

Remember those awesome 80s christmas sweaters with what more or less look like pixellated reindeer and other animals woven into the pattern? Something not quite as cheesy but along those lines would be a nice design touch.

Color-wise: Maybe one strong color with super limited use, just to break up the even, neutral earth tones. Offset fringing colors from main jacket color? Darker boots and lighter pants?

randy

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyssa Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:17 pm

Boy concept refined Boy510
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:27 pm

THIS IS LOOKING FUCKING AWESOME.

I am so excited about this. The boy keeps on looking better and better with each iteration. I definitely think the lighter colored fur collar works better, and I agree with Randy that, even though it's a subtle touch that might get overlooked by some, I think having a loop clasp on his jacket is a nice little detail.

I like the addition of color, but we might not want to add too much colored patterning to his coat because it could easily slip into mexican/incan/mayan territory.

I like the stripe of red, but maybe instead of red try playing around with colors that would compliment the environment. Maybe some oranges or turquoise? Not sure how either of those will look, but I'd be interested in seeing it just in case.

Also, as of right now, I'm diggin the light boots/dark leggings combo, only with the lighter collar and color stripe too.

Keep it up, guys! This is awesome work!!
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  lawhcha Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:10 pm

Loving the red. I like his silhouette. The coat is super awesome. I agree with randy the bone would be really cool.

lawhcha

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:19 am

Boy concept refined Img02412

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Sat Jun 12, 2010 9:22 am

so i basically took nyssa's painting and just redid it to try and combine the style. i tried incorporating her colors, and some of the simple cutout design elements of the fur. this painting is not done yet. like 10% there.

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Sat Jun 12, 2010 11:28 pm

Boy concept refined Img02413

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  DSpriggs Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:17 am

Chin - I'm pretty sure we've reached a general consensus that what Nyssa has been doing is around the style that we're shooting for. You should start with the concepts we've been discussing as a base to work from, stylistically at least, so that we're all on the same page.

DSpriggs

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Sun Jun 13, 2010 1:38 am

i didn't know we had a consensus. last meeting, we just talked about developing the character more.

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyssa Sun Jun 13, 2010 4:23 pm

i really really like the buttons though, those would be an awesome addition, but we can talk about it at the next meeting i guess, can't promise i will be doing much until then. This is my last weekend with devon for long while so i intend on spending it with him.
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:04 am

Boy concept refined Img02416

Last edited by phongshader on Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:12 am

heres the pic of my version of nyssa design. decided to finish it just to get practice painting stuff. crits would be cool.

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  lawhcha Mon Jun 14, 2010 5:30 pm

I like the fishing pole.

I don't like the messenger/sling bag. If he was going fishing, (and he wasn't a hispter eskimo) he would probably have a tackle box.

As far as the design goes, I know you just did it in your style so I wont crit that.

Rendering is good, and the frost on his boots is really cool.

Also why does he have aviator goggles? He would need snow goggles. haha. Just sayin.

lawhcha

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum