Robojams Inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

friends

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

friends Empty friends

Post  Nyssa Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:21 pm

here are some sketches of his friends, very very rough

friends Friend10
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

friends Empty Re: friends

Post  randy Thu Jun 10, 2010 4:17 am

Like the checker pattern, and overall character design of the guy on the left. Guy on the right, like him, too, but his hood makes him look... unwieldy. That's not the right word, but whatever. Maybe put a scarf on him instead?

randy

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:38 am

I think this is a great start. I'll perfection game the both of them at the same time:

I give these a 7 out of 10.

What I like:

-They both look in style, like they belong to the same world as the boy and dad
-They each have their own unique silhouette and personality
-They look mischievous, more so than the main character, which makes him look even more like-able by comparison

To get a 10 from me:

-I don't know if I'm digging the checker pattern. Usually when I see checkers, my subconscious immediately goes to Nascar. Maybe I'm the only one who thinks it, but just in case I think we should avoid that motif. There are other patterns that I'm sure would work just as well, if not better
-I agree with Randy that there's something slightly off kilter with the skinny guy. I like the fact that he looks sort of weasel-like, but I think he needs to be balanced a bit more. Right now he looks pretty top heavy with how elevated his head is from his shoulders, and how large the head is by comparison
-The loin cloth might or might not work on the skinny dude. I think when you take these to the next level of finish and clarify the lines a bit more I'll be able to tell whether or not I like the loin cloth.

Again, great stuff, Nyssa!
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyssa Thu Jun 10, 2010 3:04 pm

it's not a loin cloth so i will deffinitly define that a bit moe, i was trying with these characters to get a variety of clothing that have seen in my research, the checkers and the style of clothing are referenced from photos and i do agree the skinny guy looks weird, just trying stuff out and realizing i gave him womans clothing now Razz

http://www.liverpoolmuseums.org.uk/online/exhibitions/winter/inuit_costume.aspx

http://drake.marin.k12.ca.us/academics/rock/inuit.htm
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyssa Thu Jun 10, 2010 5:50 pm

friends Friend11
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyssa Thu Jun 10, 2010 7:44 pm

friends Friend12
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  randy Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:07 am

bam!

randy

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Fri Jun 11, 2010 5:45 am

FUCK. YES.

Once I again, I think you nailed it. I love the colors, and all the changes you made to the designs. AWESOME.

Also, I've been working on the script and I think we probably need a couple more friend designs (2 or 3). Feel like working on those next since you're already in the groove?

After that we'll probably need some designs for village people extras.
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyssa Fri Jun 11, 2010 1:36 pm

i am assuming you want 2 or 3 more friends not total, will get on that any idea would really help, and yeah towns people ;P
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  DSpriggs Fri Jun 11, 2010 2:19 pm

I think we need a dirty scruffy kid and a lady friend w/ braids maybe?

DSpriggs

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyssa Fri Jun 11, 2010 3:16 pm

nice thinking david, thank you, i will get on those, but for now here are some sketches
friends Friend13
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

friends Empty Girl and dirty boy

Post  Nyssa Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:14 pm

friends 03810

friends 03910

Here are the pics from my sketchbook they aren't the best quality but enough to critique
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  randy Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:21 pm

littlest one: I love you give that rugrat some chubby kid legs and a toy and that's a win.
girl: cute. it's easy to tell she's a girl, but she could use some flowers/beads to make her a little more girly. possibly a more curved bell/trumpet type shape to sleeves and coat? i guess it'd make more sense to say flared. Razz

randy

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:49 am

I love the newest designs you made. More so than the set before that (the two boy sketches). The thing I like most about the old designs and these two new ones is that you can tell how each character would act just by looking at them. Their demeanor is instantly clear.

I agree with Randy that the scruffy kid should have some kind of toy with him. And I think beads could look interesting on the girl, however I might argue that we shouldn't make her too girly. I kind of like the idea the girl being sort of a tomboy. Not over-the-top tomboy, but just a touch. After all, she is the only girl having a snowball fight with a bunch of boys, so I get the impression that she'd be sort of tomboyish anyway, ya know?

Anyway, can't wait to see these prettied up, too.

I think we might be good on friend designs. Maybe move on to cleaning up the dad design? And then village folk??

Woohoo!
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

friends Empty MORE!!!

Post  Nyssa Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:37 pm

friends Friend14

OK, so i cleaned these two up and added some color, For the girl: I slimed her down a bit and made her a bit but hopefully not too much feminine. For the dirty boy: I gave him a toy, i looked up some traditional inuit toys and well i thought a stuffed walrus was awesome.
I am not sold on the colors for these two, they seem too primary and not natural enough but i am not sure what to do for that. On to working on townsfolk until i get feedback, see guys tonight Very Happy
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  randy Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:09 pm

WIN! oh em gee the walrus toy. :3

randy

Back to top Go down

Post  DSpriggs Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:43 pm

I like the direction they're going, that scruffy kid is so damn cute I want to eat him. I like the hour glass shape the girl is taking, but I think it's a little to pronounced - or maybe too skinny, looks a bit awkward to me. Or maybe the bottom of the suit is to much like a bell?

I also really like the colors but I feel they might seem out of place next to the other friends. Maybe you could incorporate some of the friends' colors into theirs, or vis versa?

The new hood shapes and the thicker braids on the girl are all extra awesome.

DSpriggs

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:35 am

First off, awesome as usual. Always great to see progress like this. I'll perfection game the both of them in one:

I give these an 8 out of 10.

What I like:

-The girl's silhouette is much clearer now. It's easier to distinguish her from the others now, and she looks a bit more feminine
-I like the incorporation of color, and I like the colors you chose to incorporate
-I agree with Randy: that stuffed walrus is awesome and I want one.

To get a 10 from me:

-I agree that the application of the colors might need a bit of fiddling. David's suggestion is good to try bringing in more of the colors from the other friends. I think the problem we're running into with these two is that their colors are overbearing because they are everywhere. If these colors were highlights in various places on their clothing, I think it would be much more effective. With the girl, you might want to keep more of her colors on the coat than with the other friends simply because it would accent her femininity, but I also trust your judgement on that one to see what looks best.
-I like that the girl's silhouette is clearer now, but I agree with David that you might want to make it a little lest drastic. Maybe just try bringing her torso out a little bit.
-I like the idea of the bobbles on her coat, but I'm not sure the bobbles themselves are working. I think having them there makes it seem like she got a coat from a nice department store that was meant to have a Native look to it. Maybe if something else was hanging on those tassels it might look more like the coat was actually made by her village. Does that make any sense? I can try and explain what I mean if this doesn't make sense

Excellent work! Keep it up!
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:36 am

I wasn't saying the bobbles weren't accurate, the same way I wasn't saying the checker wasn't accurate.

However, just like the checker makes me think of Nascar, the bobbles make me think Nordstrom Rack. It would look more authentic if the bobbles were something else.

Smartass.
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyssa Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:40 pm

Of course, thats the way i work. ;D
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:19 pm

Razz
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Nyssa Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:03 pm

friends Friend15
Nyssa
Nyssa

Back to top Go down

Post  DSpriggs Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:22 pm

OK you win, lets start ami-nating

DSpriggs

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Thu Jun 24, 2010 6:33 am

I really like the change you made to the bobbles. The shape is more interesting now.

But about the colors, I liked the tint of them the way they were before. I just meant that maybe you should take the colors from the guys coats and use them in some of the stripes or something so that there was more of those colors present in the coat.

I think when the colors are all shifted like this it makes them look more desaturated, which is moving away from our style and color scheme.

Another thing we should probably start doing is putting these designs up against the background colors we had planned to see if the colors are working. I hadn't thought about that till now, but it's probably something we should start checking.
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum