Robojams Inc.
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

rough environments

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

rough environments Empty rough environments

Post  randy Thu May 13, 2010 11:17 pm

getting a feel for the colors and how to paint ice... rough environments Ice_sc13rough environments Ice_sc14

Last edited by randy on Fri May 14, 2010 3:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : update)

randy

Back to top Go down

rough environments Empty Re: rough environments

Post  phongshader Fri May 28, 2010 1:11 am

rough environments Sketch11

rough environments 32778410

rough environments Snowda10

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  lawhcha Thu Jun 03, 2010 7:59 am

playing with color and ideas. More to come

rough environments Illust10

lawhcha

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:14 pm

I think we're really starting to narrow in on it in this thread. Color-wise, you guys are definitely getting it. And I think if we combine Chase's painting with Randy's second painting and Chin's first painting, we'll have all the elements in place for the look we're going for.

Maybe this needs more explanation. If so, I'll explain at the meeting tonight.
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Fri Jun 04, 2010 1:09 am

rough environments 5454m710

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  lawhcha Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:06 am

painting #2

rough environments Illust11

lawhcha

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Mon Jun 14, 2010 6:28 pm

I haven't commented on most of these paintings, so I'll try and say some stuff about the most recent ones. I'll start with Chin's.

Chin-

This painting really reflects the style we're going for. The shades of blue are warm and the shapes are bold and slightly rounded. In fact, this picture is kind of how I view the "waterfront area" looking like, and could definitely be used as reference for that set. The only thing I'd say would need some fiddling with is the sky. I think the clouds don't really match the rest of the style. The painting as a whole looks really awesome, though.

Chase (the most recent painting)-

The style is definitely there - the colors and shapes - but the content probably needs changing. I'm guessing this is either the fishing area or the pathway to the waterfront, right? But it looks like dude at the bottom of the frame is standing next to open water. Also, I was imagining that the ridges where the penguins would appear would be similar to the way they looked in Chin's painting. That's not to say that there couldn't be interesting ice forms in the background, but the penguins themselves would be on the flat ridge part because they are about to dive down into the gorge and give chase to the main character. Does that make sense? If it doesn't I can explain more at the meeting tonight. As with Chin, though, I'm glad these areas are starting to take shape a bit. And the more we see the closer we can get to getting it nailed just right.
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:33 pm

rough environments Illust10

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  lawhcha Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:40 pm

wow chin that looks really great. I like the ridge and I like the snow piles. Also color is really good too.

I don't like the showing of the rock, I imagine this place just completely snowed/iced over.

lawhcha

Back to top Go down

Post  lawhcha Mon Jun 28, 2010 7:12 am

I dont like it but I figured I would put it up anyway

rough environments Illust12

lawhcha

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:05 pm

nice concept chase. i can see where the penguins will stand and maybe in the bg you can see the village.

Just an idea to throw out there, instead of drilling for a fishing hole, do you think it would be cool to have a stone platform with a hole in the middle that people use to fish in. This was we can incorporate ruins and stuff.

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  lawhcha Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:41 pm

phongshader wrote:nice concept chase. i can see where the penguins will stand and maybe in the bg you can see the village.

Just an idea to throw out there, instead of drilling for a fishing hole, do you think it would be cool to have a stone platform with a hole in the middle that people use to fish in. This was we can incorporate ruins and stuff.

damn chin nice idea. I think that's a cool idea. I will work on that.

lawhcha

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:20 pm

rough environments Vis_de10

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:24 pm

a vis dev thingy i painted. it also shows the platform that i was thinking of where the kid can fish. of course the design can be better, but thats roughly what i had in mind

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  randy Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:34 am

I like this painting a lot! Not sure if it makes sense from a practical perspective, but maybe that doesn't matter so much for us since it's basically a cartoon rather than a movie.

My only crit is that the water level being where it is suggests that the ice supporting those stones is not thick enough to hold that weight. Would like to see a buildup of frost and ice around the hole.

randy

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Fri Jul 09, 2010 3:43 am

thanks randy. glad you liked it.

now there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for the ice thickness and water level. you see, the ice is actually really thick, but this stone slab has magical heating powers that focuses in middle to melt the ice so that people can fish in it. problem solved.

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  randy Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:03 am

cheers done! next.

randy

Back to top Go down

Post  lawhcha Tue Jul 13, 2010 1:28 am

rough environments Snowba10

lawhcha

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:37 am

interesting idea, but im not understanding the meaning of the flags. what do they do.

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  lawhcha Tue Jul 13, 2010 5:21 pm

phongshader wrote:interesting idea, but im not understanding the meaning of the flags. what do they do.

it's the snowball fighting area. So, its like two mini forts that the kids set up.

lawhcha

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:45 pm

awesome. itll be fun painting that

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:56 pm

phongshader wrote:rough environments Vis_de10

Hey, sorry Chin, I've been meaning to respond to this pic for a long time...

I love this. I was telling everyone at the meeting on Monday that, at first, I wasn't sold on this "stone fishing hole" idea. After seeing this painting, however, I really dig the idea and I see a lot of possibilities in it.

I also want to thank you and show my sheer appreciation of the fact that you painted this in style! Beautifully executed.

That being said, here are a couple of things I think you could tweak to make the design fit more to our project and look a bit stronger...

-Right now the stones look a bit too uniform. There are cracks here and there, which is good, but I think you could try varying the sizes of the stones so that some of them are larger and maybe more rounded than others.

-Randy's point about the buildup of snow, and the level of the water, is also a good one. I think there should be a bit more snow around the edge of the hole itself. And the water level will need to be lowered to make sense.

-I think the fish designs on the stones are a bit too simplified. We want something iconic with a strong graphic quality, but the design currently on the stones is too generic, like someone google searched "fish" and then traced the outline. I think this is where we could incorporate some of the Pac Northwest Native tribal designs. These are strong graphically and more visually appealing, while still fitting into our setting.

Keep up the great work, Chin. Can't wait to see your paintover of Chase's most recent concept, too.
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:28 am

rough environments Vis_de11

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  phongshader Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:30 am

heres an illustration of the two characters. i did it after nyssa posted the new character. its just an illustration . but anyways, let me know what you guys think. also i'll start working with the snowball fight area in chase's concept.

phongshader

Back to top Go down

Post  klamp Sun Jul 18, 2010 6:18 pm

Awesome!! Definitely a fun illustration that helps show the relationship between characters. The nose of the kid on top looks a little funky, though. Not sure why.

But I like this painting, and I think stuff like this will help sell our idea and the strength of our team/project to the teachers. Chin, do me a favor and make sure to add this to the SVN folder please.
klamp
klamp

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum